Week 3: Mercy

To Whom It May Concern,

Disappointment. Shame. Astonishment.

At this point in time, I ready myself to receive the attack of those previous sentiments upon from all of you; for I have failed you all. These emotions and placeholders for an opinion of a man can come about in many forms. Perhaps someone has wronged you by stealing from you. Perhaps they hurt you. Perhaps they kicked your dog. I clench and brace myself as I write the following words, since I have done something leagues leagues worse than the previous examples.


I discovered a typo in my projections.


Stone me, yell at me, slap me, verbally assault me all you want; though none of those would bring about the proper justice that I am entitled to after such an error.

Whilst looking through the weekly projected results column for Week 4, I saw that Goose's Flock's numbers were rather low and did some digging. I found out that on two occasions I had Outfield Fly Rule instead of Goose's Flock on the schedule, which meant an overinflated place in the standings for JP, and an under-inflated place in the standings for Goose & Co. The error has been corrected and I was sure to check that there were no other typos in the schedule. I had to scrap the previous projections since they are now useless and I have no way of going back and updating them to contain the correct numbers.
Forgiveness is such a lofty thing to ask for at such a time. But here I am, on my knees.

The updated standings can be found here.

Let's continue our trend of checking in on the league leader each week. Funky Cold Gardena (a saucy mix of Tone Lōc and Totino Grace folklore) has capture our hearts and the first place position with a mix of intimidation on the mound and speed on the basepaths.

As you can see here, they're 15-2-1 in all pitching categories this year (.861 W%). While it's not sustainable in the slightest, it's a huge headstart. They're projected to have a .529 W% in pitching categories the rest of the year (Good for 3rd in the league behind Goose's Flock and myself) which puts them at about a .572 clip (just for pitching) at the end of the year. That's absurd.

Of the four pitching categories that F.C.G. hasn't conceded this year (SV, K, ERA, WHIP), my money is that Ks will be the first to give way. By my projections, I've got about a 65% chance of winning in Ks this week, but even if we want to go by past results, F.C.G. are 6th in the league in terms of total Ks so far this year. He's benefited from having played Outfield Fly Rule (last in total Ks), Clown Question Bros (7th), and Bats Hit Crazy (9th).

On to the positives. Well, their Saves category is 2nd to only Riley's, and there seem to be no glaring weaknesses. Lots of Ws, mitigated Ls, and great rate stats. A solid foundation to work with.

We haven't really touched on the offense. Though, I'm running out of time. Bottom line is, for the most part it's below average, but not enough to counteract their strong pitching. They're strong in SBs and could use some RBIs.

Bottom line of the bottom line is, their pitchers are nothing to mess with and you should hope to take as many offensive categories as you can if you want to keep your matchup close.

Rieser out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home